The birth of a child is a very special occasion for a mother and it is tradition for friends and family of the mother to throw a baby shower to celebrate. Typically, this would involve dozens of friends and close relatives gathering together on this special occasion. But how can you throw a baby shower during this pandemic where an in-person event may not be the best option? The answer is to throw a virtual baby shower so that the entire thing is online and no one misses out.
For friends of soon-to-be mothers, here is a step-by-step guide on how you can throw a fun and enjoyable baby shower online.
Pick a theme and decorate the party room for the call
The first step is to choose where you will host the online event – there are tons of video conferencing tools out there like Zoom and Google Meet. The choice of tool depends on what is available and convenient for everyone.
After you choose where to host the party, the next step is to make sure that you pick out a theme and decorate the party room for the online event. Themes are always a beloved part of any baby shower and just because you are moving the event online does not mean that you cannot have a theme.
Here is how you can pick out a theme and apply it to a virtual baby shower:
- Choose a popular baby shower theme such as ‘Bees’, ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’, or ‘Cars’. You can consult the mother for picking the right theme too.
- Notify all the guests about the theme and ask them to wrap their gifts and/or wear clothing that matches the theme. For instance, if it is a ‘Bees’ themed party, you can ask everyone to wear yellow to match the theme.
- Pick out a background that matches the theme that you picked out. You can find some great thematic zoom backgrounds at PosterMyWall.
Plan and arrange a gift reveal
Gift reveals are one of the best parts of a baby shower and it is an absolute must-have for a baby shower. You can follow these steps to plan and arrange a mini gift-opening ceremony in the online baby shower:
- Arrange for the gifts to be sent to the mother before the party. For this, you can ask the guests to send in their gifts via post to the mother directly.
- Slot in a time in the event itinerary for the gift reveal so everyone is prepared. Inform the mother beforehand so she can have all the gifts ready in one place for the reveal.
- At the designated time, the mother will unwrap the gifts one by one (just like she would in an in-person party) and show them to the camera. As the gifts are opened, everyone else watches and reacts to make the moment more special.
Compile a video for wishes and motherly advice
Being pregnant during the pandemic can be incredibly stressful and a mother needs all the support that she can get during such times. This is the reason a heartfelt, personalized video full of wishes motherly advice can be one of the best things to send to a mother in a baby shower.
For this, ask each of the guests (especially parents) to send an encouraging letter or short video with their advice and wishes for the new mother. You can then make use of a tool such as Veed.io to compile all the images and videos in a single, customized video that you can then play during the virtual baby shower.
This is a gesture that will really show the support and presence of family and friends to the mother-to-be, even if the event itself is virtual.
Design and send out invitations
Once you have all the preparations for the baby shower ready, the next step is to design and send out baby shower invitations to the guests.
For this, the first step is to design an eye-catching and fun-looking invitation for the baby shower. You can make use of a tool such as PosterMyWall for doing this since it is super simple and easy to use and customize e-invites with it. The best part of using such a tool is that you don’t even have to design the invites from scratch, there are hundreds of templates for baby shower invitations ready-made that are available for you to choose from.
Once you have picked out a template, the next step is to customize the invitation and add in all the necessary information. Be sure to include important details such as the link and password for the video call, timings for the event, information about the theme and dress code (if any), and preferably a short itinerary.
Here is an awesome example of a baby shower invitation template that you can use as inspiration. You can create similar invitations to this with PosterMyWall.
What matters is how much fun everyone has
A lot of effort and planning goes into throwing a virtual baby shower and we have provided a detailed guide on how you can go about the process. But remember that at the end of the day, what matters the most is the experience that the mother and guests have. So, amidst all the planning and organizing, make sure that you focus on throwing a fun and memorable event for everyone involved.