With fall just around the corner, it’s time to gear up for your Oktoberfest event. As always, Oktoberfest is all about parties, parades, food, beer, and having a good time with everyone.
Whether you’re throwing a party or a parade, you need enough time before your event to prepare and invite people. Luckily, social media, with its 4 billion active users, makes for a perfect platform to promote your Oktoberfest event.
Having a bonafide social media presence allows you to spread the word out about your event and have people engage with it. Good social media strategies can successfully raise attendance and boost your credibility as a host.
For this article, we’ve compiled a list of exciting social media strategies to help build hype around your Oktoberfest event. So grab your beer and party hats, and let’s get started.
1. Put up promotional posts and infographics
Today, there are so many social media platforms you can use to advertise your event. However, to make things easy for you, do some research and narrow down the platforms your audience is most saturated in.
Once you do this, the process of putting up posts, engaging with followers, and keeping track of your online performance will become much simpler.
These days, most promotional strategies work best on Instagram. With roughly 1 billion active users, Instagram is the ultimate place to market anything.
Put up tons of promotional posts on Instagram before your event. One Oktoberfest poster every few days will boost visibility on your page, and raise awareness about your event.
Moreover, add short, bite-sized infographics to your stories or grid. Let people know what they’ll get out of the event. Will there be music? Carnival rides? Unlimited alcohol? Don’t leave any exciting perk out of your promotion.
The text in your posts should be snappy, shareable, and to the point. People should know exactly what you’re inviting them to. Use bright colors and fun graphics to keep your followers engaged.
Repurpose your content from your main promotional platform and create a valuable presence for yourself on other platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Put up posts and captions taken from your Instagram to reach a wider audience.
Choose an Oktoberfest poster template or carnival poster from PosterMyWall’s range of exciting templates, and customize it according to your event. To make things more convenient, you can create your designs and share them directly to your social media with just one click.
- Facebook: 8 am to 12 pm – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Instagram: 11 am – Wednesdays
- Twitter: 8 am – Mondays and Thursdays
2. Introduce online ticketing
Your social media channels should not just be a call for people to come to your Oktoberfest event. You need to make them your one-stop solution for anyone interested in coming.
The best way to do this is to make signing up for the event as easy for people as possible. You can use Instagram to sell tickets very easily. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Head on to Eventbrite and make a profile for your Oktoberfest event
- Sync your profile with your Instagram business account
- Click on “Edit Profile” on your Instagram profile
- Tap on “Contact Options” and then the “Add an Action” button
- Select Eventbrite from the partners list, and put in your event link
It’s that simple. The next step is to advertise your tickets as vigorously as possible. Use Instagram Stories and other social media platforms to let people know that they can simply head on over to your profile and buy their tickets.
3. Do an Oktoberfest giveaway
Oktoberfest is one of the most Instagrammed European attractions in the world. As someone hosting an Oktoberfest event, you need to capitalize on this by getting the word out as much as possible.
Giveaways are a great way to do this. Not only do they ensure that your posts reach people who don’t follow you online, they also make people more excited for the event because they feel like they’re getting a sense of instant gratification by participating.
You can do giveaways on both Facebook and Instagram. In both cases, the process to be followed is simple. You need to pick a prize or perk that people will appreciate, for example, Oktoberfest merch, free or discounted tickets, or free flow beer or a voucher for free pizza at your Oktoberfest event.
Next, you need to ask people to follow you, share your post and tag two friends to be eligible to enter. You can ask them to do anything else, as long as it helps boost your post and event. Let people know exactly when the winner will be announced.
Feel free to do this a couple of times before your event. The more hype you can generate, the better.
4. Make a custom Snapchat filter
What’s more exciting than a custom filter for your event that people can use to generate hype online?
You can make your own Snapchat filter, and invite people to play around with it prior to and during the event. Here’s how to go about the process.
- Head on over to Snapchat’s website.
- Scroll down and select “Filters”.
- On the next page, log in to Snapchat so that you can save your progress later.
- Now, select your category from the drop-down menu. You should see a range of options.
- Work on your filter with the different editing tools available to you.
- When you’re satisfied with the final product, click on “Next”.
- Select the time, date, and duration for your filter.
- Choose the geographical area within which you want your filter to appear. Make sure the area is around your Oktoberfest event’s location. You can choose any area within 5 million square feet.
- Fill out the submission form, finalize payment, and submit.
Remember that there’s an approval process for filters so send your submission well in advance. Once it’s approved, you can start advertising it on social media and encourage people to use it with their friends.
5. Advertise an experience
With events and festivals, people are often looking for a fulfilling experience, and that’s what you should be selling at the end of the day. Remember that it’s not about the food, the ambiance, the music, or even the alcohol. It’s about how all these elements come together to provide a fun-filled and unforgettable experience for your attendees.
Social media allows you to sell this experience in unique and exciting ways. Advertise the beer, parades, music, and food, and link all of them to paint a unique and exciting picture.
Here are just a few ways you can sell the Oktoberfest experience on social media:
- Use Instagram Reels to share behind-the-scenes footage of the planning and organizing process
- Share pictures and videos of Oktoberfest in Munich, or pictures from your older Oktoberfest events to show people what they’ll be missing if they don’t come
- Create a unique Oktoberfest hashtag for your event and add it to all your promotions, so people can follow and share photos of your event
- Share testimonials from people who are a part of organizing the event and can vouch for how exciting it will be
- Since beer is a big part of Oktoberfest, ask people to share pictures of them drinking their favorite beer with your event hashtag
You can get as creative as you want with these strategies as long as you’re able to convince people that your event is going to be the experience of a lifetime. And remember, if you can get people to participate and engage with you, then you’ll have done your job.
Remember that the crux of social media is to post, post, post. Be as visible as you can, whether it’s through posters, giveaways, or hashtags. Moreover, remember to sell an experience i.e. something people simply cannot afford to miss out on. And finally, remember that social media promotion is all about two-way engagement. So frame your advertising in a way that maximises the chances of your audience responding and interacting with you.
Start your Oktoberfest social media promotion today with PosterMyWall, and make your party or parade stand out from the rest.